Our Adoption Process
Please read entirely to apply for adoption!
Pikes Peak Parrot Rescue is committed to educating adoption applicants on the needs and proper care of birds. As part of the adoption process, you will receive a free copy of our Standards of Care Guide and post-adoption support from our volunteer team.
3PR adoption process is designed to ensure that:
- The process is time efficient for the adoption applicant
- The applicant is matched with birds that will fit their lifestyle
- The applicant feels educated and prepared to give the bird a loving home and proper care
- Each bird that enters 3PR goes through a quarantine process of no less that 30 days. During this time, the bird did not exhibit any signs or symptoms of any illness or disease.
General Adoption Requirements:
- You must be over 18 to adopt a bird
- You must live in Colorado (due to PACFA licensing requirements and in/out state laws, we cannot adopt outside of Colorado)
- You must certify that you have never been convicted of any animal cruelty charges
- You must not engage or allow the adopted bird to participate in breeding
- If you can no longer provide a home for the bird, you must turn it back in to 3PR for re-adopting
- 3PR reviews each applicant for suitability on a case by case basis and reserves the right to refuse adoption of any bird to any individual or group if adoption is deemed inappropriate or not a good fit for the bird.
*By completing the adoption application, you understand and acknowledge that it does not guarantee you adoption or “holding” of a specific bird; we are the birds advocates and place them with the family they choose!*
Small birds and parrots such as finches & budgies are eligible for same day adoption at Pikes Peak Parrot Rescue in Colorado Springs.
Small Bird Adoption Process (estimated duration 1-2 hours):
- Visit Pikes Peak Parrot Rescue in Colorado Springs during business hours. In general, same day adoptions of small birds will occur on a first come first served basis. However, 3PR reserves the right to refuse adoption of any bird to any individual or group if adoption is deemed inappropriate or not a good fit for the bird.
- You will complete a paper application upon arrival.
- You meet and spend some time with the birds you are interested in and select your bird.
- Cages must be pre-approved for size & suitability by 3PR before an adoption closes. Please bring one or more photos of current cage(s), as well as cage measurements. Having a ruler or common object, like a dollar bill, in your photos is helpful!
- A 3PR volunteer will conduct a bird care mini-course with you, ensuring that you have the knowledge you need to bring home your bird and have all of your questions answered. You will also receive a copy of our bird care book.
- After 7-10 days, a 3PR representative will follow up with you to answer any new questions you may have.
- You may to contact 3PR at anytime for post-adoption support.
Adoption fees for each small bird type:
- Finch $10 (or otherwise noted)
- Budgie $10 for one (or otherwise noted)
Parrots such as conures, Poicephalus parrots, Amazon parrots, African Greys, Cockatoos and Macaws have more intensive needs than the smaller birds and require a pre-qualification process before applying for a specific bird.
Parrot Adoption Process (estimated duration of 2 – 4 weeks):
- Apply to pre-qualify to adopt online and pay the $25 fee. This also allows you private visitation with the birds during the week (with 24hrs advance notice) when husbandry is being performed; typically Monday-Friday 11am-2pm *you do not pay an admission fee while in the adoption process*
- You will receive a link to our online Standards of Parrot Care course.
- You spend 3-6 hours completing the online course and the questions at the end.
- 3PR’s adoption committee reviews your results.
- 3PR contacts you to schedule and complete a home inspection and consultation about adding a bird to your home.
- If all conditions are met, 3PR will pre-qualify you to adopt a parrot.
- You will meet the birds that you are interested in at Pikes Peak Parrot Rescue in Colorado Springs
- When you meet a bird that you want to adopt – you will complete an Intent to Adopt form in person that 3PR will review for approval and decide on within 2-4 business days.
- Once approved you now have 14 days to obtain an appropriate sized cage and complete cage set up to close the adoption (pictures will need to be provided to make sure it meets 3PR’s standards)
- After 7 days, an 3PR representative will follow up with you to answer any new questions you may have.
- You may contact 3PR at anytime for post-adoption support.
Adoption fees for each parrot type:
- Cockatiel $80-$100
- Lovebird $100-$200
- Grass Parakeet $100-$150
- Parrotlet $150-$200
- Small Conures/Brotogeris $200-$300
- Large Conures (finches, blue crown) $200-$300
- Psittacula $200-$300
- Poicephalus $350-$450
- Caiques $600-$700
- Pionus $500-$600
- Small Amazons (Lilac, White Fronted) $400-$500
- Large Amazons (Double Yellow, Yellow Naped) $600-$700
- Small Cockatoos (Bald Eye, Citron, Lesser Sulphur) $500-$600
- Large Cockatoos (Greater Sulphur, Umbrella) $600-$700
- Eclectus Parrots $600-$700
- African Greys $700-$800
- Small Macaws (Hahn’s, Severe) $400-$500
- Large Macaws (B&G, Greenwing) $700-$800
- Rarer species of parrots- Price varies dependent on species